Friday, August 30, 2013

Lessons learned

Something I'm starting to get about cosplaying is the idea of not necessarily buying a costume to wear, but creating something yourself. Like these highly impressive, award winning cosplayers from Matsuricon 2013 in Columbus, Ohio:

They say this fellow made his powered-armor-type suit out of cardboard,
duct tape, and paint. I don't remember the name of the character. (edit: it's
Jl Prime cosplaying Kamen Rider Decade!)
I recognize this one. It's Lord Death from Soul Eater.
She's a character I think from a video game I haven't played.
(Edit: she's Big Sister from "Bioshock." Yeah, I should probably get a PS3 or something...)
A handmade Transformers Starscream costume, made by cosplayer extraordinaire Chelsey. She gave her
Decepticon a smile. An evil smile. An I've-going-to-blast-you-into-a-million-pieces-with-a-song-in-my-heart smile.
That makes sense. Unleash your creativity and all that. This gives me ideas for long-term projects of my own that will almost certainly require visits to Michael's and/or Joann's (shudder). I've been meaning to hit those places anyway. I need to look into building some actual sets for Living Room Wars. I have lots of ideas for that, too!
In the short term, I'm looking to head to Northern Michigan Anime Con in Traverse City next weekend and Anime USA the weekend after. I'm looking to continue my cosplaying career with a modified Soldier A and something new, for me - an actual character!
For Soldier A, I'm going lighter...


...for something like this...

I can add another uniform to the things-I-can-fit-into-it-again category!

The character I have in mind is still in progress, sort of, but fans of the webcomics I like will recognize where I'm going with this...
 
The rope's for emergencies...

No comments:

Post a Comment