Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Ebay success!

I won my second Ebay auction for a piece I needed for my first cosplay outfit. It arrived today - thank you neighbors for not swiping it!
It's a prop rifle, something I need, of course, if I am to succeed in my portrayal of Soldier A (the unsung hero of anime).
Rules are fairly strict for weapons at conventions. They acknowledge they are an essential part of many cosplay costumes, for men, women, boys, as well as girls. Swords, guns, gunswords, swordguns, etc. Rocket launchers, like for the fellow whose picture I posted on my first post (I'm assuming he's a fellow).
No real weapons, naturally, but they also don't allow weapons that shoot plastic pellets, so airsoft is out. They're not even supposed to have moving parts, which, from what I've seen at conventions, may or may not be that much enforced.
But anyone who's served in the Army, Marines, or other branch that marches a lot knows exactly what would qualify. Something like this:

This cat isn't included either.
Dummy rifle. Rubber ducky. Rifles molded out of rubber to issue to troops for marching and other exercises when leaders don't want the hassle of issuing a bunch of real weapons.
I bid on Ebay for a black rubber M-16A1, just like the one I carried back in the '80s, but was outbid by like $40. Other folks looking for props, training or something.
This is a new model, molded in blue. I also had the option of red. Anyway, I'll be painting it black, with red or orange on the flash hider, just like the rules say.
I ran another four miles today. I wore my TOGM shirt, from the late, great The Other Grey Meat webcomic.

Sorry, no duck face.
A local teen layabout asked to see it, so I'm doing my part to keep TOGM alive (sort of. It's set in a post zombie apocalypse. Well maintained zombies. All the characters on the shirt except the guy in the middle are zombies).
Hmm, TOGM featured undead resistance fighters who liked to wear army uniforms, just like the ones I have. Future cosplay idea...

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for brightening my night! I think it's awesome what you are doing, and appreciate that you're hawking TOGM while you're at it :D

    We're actually working on the scripting of a new comic right now, and if everything works out, maybe some day we'll give TOGM's last chapter the same treatment and finish the story properly.

    Thanks again,

    James / Magravan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I probably will do the TOGM cosplay thing in the future. Old BDUs, makeup, wig, and a sack.
      I'm looking forward to the new strip!

      Delete