Sunday, October 13, 2013

VT ray cannon!

My new Voyage Trekkers ray gun's coming along fairly decently. I got the LEDs and wired them up so six of them stick out through holes I drilled along the sides, with a switch in the butt.


Three 9 volt batteries, wired in series, so you add them up for a total of 27 volts, but the amp hour capacity stays the same? For a total of oh who cares.
I saved for the muzzle the red LED, which is designed to light up yachts and semi trucks.
I need to get a couple more battery brackets to lock down the insides, but the set up looks good and is so far working.

I put a bowl on the end to make it more of a cross between a classic
Star Trek phaser rifle and a laser cannon from an X-wing fighter.
The middle light is from an LED flashlight I bought from ACE hardware. This is my failsafe, in case my bulbs burn out or the wiring comes undone, a couple real possibilities. At least something should be able to light up!
Here's the ray gun in low light for the full effect.

All the wiring's inside the casing so Lizzie's allowed to check it out.
So just some taping down the wiring, bracketing the batteries, maybe some paint touchup, and a strap, and it'll be ready for Youmacon at the end of the month!
For my The Other Grey Meat sack brigader costume, I heeded the advice of Facebook friends and ordered some Ben Nye makeup from ebay. It's a ghoul kit.

Category 2 zombie in the larger image, category 1 in the inset.
It should come with gray cream makeup, color highlights, brush, sponge, makeup pencil, and spirit gum. Not included is any sort of makeup fixer, to keep it from sweating off or something. I checked the makeup aisle at my local Meijers store, but there's no use-this-to-keep-your-zombie-makeup-stable section, for some reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment